The Place Castellane is a historic square in the 6th district of Marseille , Bouches-du-Rhone , France . It was built in 1774.
The square was named for Henri-Cesar de Castellane-Majastre , an aristocrat who donated the land for its construction in 1774.  A fountain with an obelisk used as a washhouse was built in the middle of the square in 1798.  ]
In 1911, the obelisk was relocated to Mazargues .  Meanwhile, Jules Cantini donated to a new fountain, which was designed by sculptor André-Joseph Allar .   The fountain, completed in 1913, represents three Provençal rivers: the Durance , the Gardon , and the Rhone . 
The square, with the original obelisk, is mentioned by Joseph Conrad in his 1919 novel The Arrow of Gold . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e “Place Castellane” . Marseille Visitor Center . Retrieved July 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Detaille, Gérard (2000). Marseille: A Century of Pictures . Marseille: Editions Parenthèses. p. xcviii. ISBN 9782863640944 . OCLC 41506621 .
- Jump up^ Conrad, Joseph (1992). The golden arrow . Paris: Gallimard Edition. pp. 103-104. ISBN 2-07-040549-4