Edward Brasey is a French novelist , essayist, scriptwriter and storyteller born on March 25, 1954. Author of more than seventy works, many of which have been translated into English, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. He specializes in the themes of the esoteric, fables, legends and fantasy. He won a prize of Imaginal in 2006 for The Little Encyclopedia of the Wonderful , and a prize Merlin in 2009 for his novel The Curse of the Ring . Subsequently, he has become essentially a novelist, notably published by Calmann-Lévy . His historical-esoteric thriller that was published in 2013, The Last Pope , anticipated theabdication of Benedict XVI .
Edouard Brasey was born on March 25, 1954 in Marseille . He has been interested in the imaginary since his childhood. He has an entry in Who’s Who in France.  and is member of Mensa International .
Qualifications and Career in Journalism, Radio and TV
Graduating from the ESSEC Business School (Graduate School of Economic and Commercial Sciences), he obtained a Master’s degree in Private Law at Lyon II-Lumière, a Diploma of the Institute of Political Studies of Lyon, and a Master in Cinema Studies and Scriptwriting ( Paris I – La Sorbonne ), with the directors Éric Rohmer and Jean Rouch as professors. He also trained in the theater, in storytelling and in commedia dell’arte. He has been a journalist for Read , Expansion , Challenges , Hebdo Books , The World of Music , Le Figaro Madame and L’Usine Nouvelle . He writes regularly for the Historia reviewThe devil, medieval legends, superstitions, pirates or fairy-tales. He collaborates in publications of Historia dedicated to the works of the illustrator Hergé , Tintin and the Forces Obscure and Tintin and the Sea. He Was finalist for the New York Film Festival Best World’s Radio Program in 2015 with “The Night Washerwomen”, extract from two series Radio Blue Radio, “The Little Folk of Halloween” and “The Little Folk of the Legends”. He plays an “expert in superstitions” for the French TV channel France 2.
Career as a Writer
Edward Brasey is the author of nearly seventy works since 1987, including investigative documents, essays, chronicles, fictionalized biographies, novels, monographs, collections of fables and illustrated art books. His works address the themes of the invisible world and spirituality, religions and pagan (notably Celtic) beliefs, fables and legends, and the fantastic.
His first investigative essay, published in 1987 by Ramsay, was dedicated to the literary journalist Bernard Pivot . Courtesy of Philippe Schuwer in Communication and Languages as “a study that approaches hagiography without having the faults”.  Édouard Brasey Thereupon interested himself in the Esoteric with the Investigation on the existence of Rebel Angels in 1995 and the Inquiry into the Existence of Fairies and Nature Spirits in 1996, published by Filipacchi and I Read .
Literature of the Imaginary
In 1995, the writer specializes in the domain of legends, following following the apprenticeship with the storyteller Henri Gougaud . Between 2005 and 2012 he wrote a collection of fables, The Fantastic Cabinet , as well as collections of fantasy, French fiction, esoteric writings, essays and illustrated books at Éditions Le Pré aux Clercs. He authored numerous publications in this domain.
He has also published twelve novels since 1994, in the fields of thriller, novel crime, historical novel or story inspired by legend.
The Last Pope
In The Last Pope ( The Last Pope , Télémaque Editions 2013, Amazon Kindle e-book 2012 and 2014), the pope is dead. While the pretenders to his estate intrigue into the corridors of the Vatican , the bloody ritual murders profane places of worship, an atrocious homage to the martyrdom of St. Peter. Two thousand years ago, the apostle cast on Rome, the place of his torture, a curse that seems ready to accomplish its purpose: a cosmic threat is about to eliminate the seat of Christianity.
This esoteric thriller is inspired by the prophecy of Malachi , and the prophecy of the third secret of Fatima.  Édouard Brasey published The Last Pope in March 2012 in electronic format at Amazon under the title Stone Prophecy , generating 3000 downloads in three months. He subsequently published it with Éditions Télémaque in January 2013, anticipating by a few weeks the abdication of Pope Benoit XVI, which occasioned numerous articles and interviews in the national and international press. In 2014 Édouard Brasey published an update to his novel in electronic format under the definitive title The Last Pope and the Prophecy of Peter, to integrate the latest developments concerning the Vatican, notably the election of Pope Francis. The book is one of the best sellers in the electronic format on Amazon.com and Amazon.fr.,  the new edition generated more than 2000 downloads in two months.
For Israel Hayom, Edouard Brasey, “a science-fiction writer known for penning thrillers”, this novel is eerily similar to the real-life events unfolding in the Vatican. The book’s protagonist is a pope who finds himself in the middle of numerous scandals, yet even a sci-fi guru like Brasey could not stretch his imagination to the point where he envisioned the pontiff resigning from his post […] This book in 2011 was all about the scandals that have been discussed at the time, and have been vividly manifested with the Vatileaks affair. “The newspaper insists that” Brasey, a journalist, was the most sought after. This article is only available in French and English, and is available online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrEzEd&lang=en “
Corine Pirozzi, The Huffington Post , such as “Edouard Brasey entices us into an adventure totally captivating, fascinating in its occult accents and gives birth to an esoteric thriller of high quality”. “Édouard Brasey has just published a book that presents strange coincidences with the actual events at the Vatican.” Edward Brasey has not given up getting scoops. Philippe Vallet, on the radio, France Info, February 3, 2013, think that “The Vatican will always light up the imagination of … Witness Edouard Brasey who has published (…) a thriller which mixes the illness of a Pope, the intrigues for his succession, senseless murders and a cosmic threat.A novel researched and fascinating. ” For Julie Malaure, “When the Pope is Dying”, Le Point, January 31, 2013 “those who (…) thrill with excitement at each revelation made about the Vatican, who twitch at the evocation of secrets that deliberately obscure the Church, will find a great pleasure in this esoteric thriller. Because the prolix Brasey (…) here shows all his generosity. “Franck Ferrand of Europe” Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. “He salutes the action scenes and the numerous references, the” Renaissance decor of St. Peter and the Vatican “alternating with” ultra-modernity “, adding only the overall impression and inspiration” “conspirator”, but only “that which is proper to all these big novels. We are squarely in a conspiracy theory “.
Historic and legendary novels
The Lavandières de Brocéliande (Editions Calmann-Lévy, 2012, The Pocketbook, 2014). With Broceliande Lavenderes, Edouard Brasey inaugurates a new genre, inspired by popular beliefs, in which the action takes place in Brittany: during All-Saints Day, 1943, Gwenn, a young orphan , discovers one of her fellows, a washerwoman, drowned in the washing basin of Concoret, a small village on the edge of the forest of Brocéliande. Dahud, the oldest inhabitant, and mother of the victim, incriminates the washerwomen of the night, these supernatural creatures that, according to Breton legends, wash the bloody clothes of their still-born infants. The malediction continues to haunt the washerwomen of Broceliande. This novel has been favorably received by The Courier Indépendant. it ‘The Pardons of Locronan and The Mermaid of Ouessant His next novel, due to appear with Calmann-Lévy in 2015, is a crime novel in which the action takes place in Haute Provence at the beginning of the 1960s, The Case of Cabre of Gold .
On June 20, 2009, Edward Brasey received the Merlin Award in the novels category for The Songs of Valkyrie , the first volume of the cycle The Curse of the Ring(Belfond editions, 2008 – 2010). He received a bursary for creation from the National Book Center for his writing. Values Actuelles writes that “Édouard Brasey makes the ancient Nordic sagas sing, the legend of the powerful Ases and the magnificent Vanes.” A remarkable work that holds together a fantastic narrative and lyric poetry “. For Nicolas L., SciFi-Universe, November 24, 2008 “eminent French specialist in the universe of fairies, folklore, myths and legends, Edward Brasey offers us, with The Curse of the Ring, the fruit of a colossal work of compilation The Saga of the Völsung or the Ring of the Nibelung. ” Plume-libre.com insists on the ”
The Encyclopedia of the Wonderful (Editions Le Pré aux Clercs, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2012) collects more than creatures of supernatural world: fairies, elves, imps, mermaids, dwarfs, dragons, unicorns, griffins, gargoyles, werewolves, troll vampires , Cyclopes, giants, ogres, titans … with their description, their geographical and mythological origin, their clothes and their history. The sources of this work were found in history, legends, Celtic, Greek-Roman, Germanic or Nordic mythology, literary or cinematographic creations. This work is made up of three volumes: Peoples of the Light, Fantastic Bestiary and Shadow Peoples (2005 and 2006), re-edited into a single volume entitled The Little Encyclopedia of Wonder in 2007 and The Great Encyclopedia Wonderfulin 2012. It’s a double recognition at Imaginal d’Épinal in 2006: the Imaginal Special Jury Prize, and the Claude Seignolle Prize for the images. The first volume has been translated into English by The Five Mile Press, under the title The Encyclopedia of Fantasy – People of Light. More than 100,000 copies of this work were sold, all editions included. These works, accessible to all, have been developed in France. Jacques Baudou, The World, October 21, 2005, writes “Re-enchant the world”: this slogan, borrowed from the preface of this encyclopedia, entitled “Once upon a time it was marvelous”, could well define better than a long discussion For Le Figaro, “Edouard Brasey is a major specialist of the genre. ”
Demons and Wonders (Le Chêne 2002, 2006 and 2010), Faeries and Demons (Barnes & Noble, New York, 2003), Dragons, Little People, Witches, Fairies, Trolls and Elves (Hachette UK Illustrated, London, 2003) . This illustrated Encyclopedia tells the stories and legends of the enchanted kingdom – most notably in the spooky ghostliness of All Hallows Eve. Each of the four seasons has its celebrations and this book aims to bring some of the background to these rituals and traditions. Quotations and references also feature from Shakespeare, Walter Scott and JRR Tolkien.
Scriptwriter for audio-visual and live arts (television, radio, screen adaptation, theater)
Edward Brasey is also a scriptwriter for televised documentaries, theater and storytelling dramas and musical comedies. He has particularly participated in several documentaries on historical or esoteric subjects:
- The Sorcerer Lives the Building, documentary with J.-C. Deniau, 52 minutes, France 2, October 30, 1989.
- The Algerian Years, historical documentary series by Benjamin Stora, 4 x 52 minutes, France 2, October 1991.
- Angels, Demons and Men, documentary with J.-C. Deniau, 70 minutes, France 3, August 1995.
- He was a fairy, documentary with Bernard Jourdain, 52 minutes, France 2, May 9, 1999.
He has written a musical comedy for children, In Search of Alandys , for Les Monts Rieurs in 2002, and co-authored with his wife, Stéphanie Brasey, has a second musical comedy, The Fallen Child of the Moon for Les Monts Rieurs , 2012. Also with his wife, Stephanie Brasey, he has co-authored The Door of Secrets , a screen adaptation for Paimpont inspired by the legends of the forest of Broceliande .
As an actor, Édouard Brasey has made several appearances in movies and television films, notably:
- Full Moon Nights, Eric Rohmer, 1984.
- Dionysos, Jean Rouch, 1984.
- Nathalie, Anne Fontaine, 2003.
- Joe Pollox and the Bad Minds, Jérôme Foulon, 2004.
- The Hand of the Devil, Jérémy Grammatica, 2010.
- Jean Moulin, Yves Boisset, 2002.
- Lawyers and Associates, Family Affairs, Marion Jourdan – The Sense of Duty, Bad Spirit, Special Cine-Cinemas * Fables and Legends, Cine-Cinemas Special Vampires.
As a storyteller, he has created several fables:
- The Memory of Merlin
- The Enchanted Forest.
- Truth seekers.
- The Seven Doors of the Thousand and One Nights.
Thrillers and Mysteries
- The Last Pope and the Prophecy of Peter
- The Prophecy of Peter, Amazon, 2012 ( ISBN 979-1091386005 )
- The Last Pope , Télémaque editions, 2013, 352 p. ( ISBN 978-2753301665 )
- The Last Pope , France Loisirs, 2013 ( ISBN 978-2-298-07780-3 )
- The Last Pope and the Prophecy of Peter , 2014 ( ISBN 979-1091386005 )
Historic and legendary novels
- The Lavandières of Brocéliande , Calmann-Lévy, 9 May 2012, 450 p. ( ISBN 978-2702143223 )
- The Pardons of Locronan , Calmann-Lévy, 3 May 2013, 480 p. ( ISBN 978-2-7021-5346-8 )
- The Ouessant Siren , Calmann-Lévy, 8 May 2014, 380 p. ( ISBN 978-2-7021-4482-4 )
- Curse of the ring
- The Songs of Valkyrie , Belfond, 2 October 2008 ( ISBN 9782714444349 )
- The Dragon’s Sleep , Belfond, 17 May 2009 ( ISBN 9782714445438 )
- The Treasury of the Rhine , Belfond, March 2010 ( ISBN 978-2714446237 )
- The Curse of the Ring, The Trilogy , Belfond, October 2010, 896 p. ( ISBN 978-2714448705 )
Legends and Fairy Tales
- The Fabulous Bestiary , Pygmalion, 7 June 2001 ( ISBN 9782857047056 )
- The Enchanted Loves , Pygmalion, 25 September 2001 ( ISBN 9782857047209 )
- Courteous Love and Other Stories , Le Pré aux Clercs, coll. “The Fantastic Cabinet”, 24 August 2007 ( ISBN 9782842282981 )
- Enchanted France , Paris, La Martinière, 2011, 191 p. ( ISBN 978-2732442143 )
- When the sky clears , Plon, 18 February 1994, 311 p. ( ISBN 9782259000888 )
- The Star Wish, The Counter, October 10, 1996, 240 p. ( ISBN 9782884560078 )
- Street of Forget or The Shadows of Istanbul , Other Times, coll. “Romanesque Time”, 1998 ( ISBN 9782911873638 )
- The Wolves of the Full Moon: Notebook found in a mansion in ruins , Le Pré aux Clercs, 6 January 2005 ( ISBN 9782842282233 )
Essays and Encyclopediae
- Édouard Brasey and E. Debailleul, Living the magic of tales: How the marvel can change our life , Albin Michel , coll. “Keys to psychology”, January 1, 2000, 336 p. ( ISBN 9782226095299 )
- Finding His Truth Through the Tales of Wisdom , Seuil, januaryr 2000 ( ISBN 9782702852019 )
- Demons and Wonders , The Oak, 2002 ( ISBN 9782842773861 )
- The Moon, Mysteries and Spells , The Oak, April 23, 2003 ( ISBN 9782842774141 )
- The Seven Doors of Thousand and One Nights , The Oak, 24 September 2003 ( ISBN 9782842774653 )
- Jules Verne’s Universes , The Oak, 16 March 2005, 240 p. ( ISBN 9782842775940 )
- The magic kitchen of fairies and witches , L’Envol, coll. “Map Library”, 30 June 2005 ( ISBN 9782915349122 ). With a foreword by the elficologist Pierre Dubois
- Edouard Brasey, Jacques Bertinier and Sandrine Gestin, The Fairy Kitchen Fairy , Fetjaine, October 2007, 118 p. ( ISBN 9782354250171 )
- Edouard Brasey and Lucile Thibaudier, Grimoires, spells and enchantments, the manual of the sorcerer , Fetjaine, 18 October 2007, 119 p. ( ISBN 978-2354250164 )
- Grimoire of werewolves , Paris, Editions Le Pré aux Clercs, 2010, 432 p. ( ISBN 9782842284107 )
- Magic formulas of the gospel of the cattails , Paris, Le Chêne, 2010 ( ISBN 9782812302206 )
- Édouard and Stéphanie Brasey, The Investigators of the Strange: True Stories of Haunted Houses , Éditions Le Pré aux Clercs, 2011, 271 p. ( ISBN 978-2842284527 )
- Édouard and Stéphanie Brasey, Treatise on Witchcraft , Éditions Le Pré aux Clercs, 2011, 432 p. ( ISBN 978-2842284473 )
- Édouard and Stéphanie Brasey, Treatise on Divinatory Arts , Éditions Le Pré aux Clercs, 2012, 432 p. ( ISBN 978-2842284787 )
Journalism and investigation
- The Pivot Effect , Ramsay, 1987 ( ISBN 9782859566371 )
- Sorcerers. Travel to Astrologers, Speakers, Healers, Magi and Seers , Ramsay, coll. “Document”, 1989 ( ISBN 9782859567446 )
- The republic of the games, investigation on the secret universe of gambling , Robert Laffont, January 10, 1992, 276 p. ( ISBN 9782221070000 )
- Investigation of the Existence of Rebel Angels , Filipacchi, 1 September 1995 ( ISBN 9782850183980 )
- Reedition of Inquiry into the Existence of Rebel Angels , I read, coll. “Secret Adventure”, 1 November 1998 ( ISBN 9782290044346 )
- Inquiry into the existence of fairies and nature spirits , Filipacchi, 1 September 1996 ( ISBN 9782850183034 )
- Reedition of Inquiry into the existence of fairies and nature spirits , I read, coll. “Secret Adventure”, 4 January 1999 ( ISBN 9782290047538 )
- The enigma of Atlantis , Pygmalion et al. “Mystery of the lost worlds”, 12 November 1998 ( ISBN 9782857045434 )
- Reedition of The Enigma of Atlantis , I read, coll. “Secret Adventure”, 24 October 2002 ( ISBN 9782290320938 )
- Jump up^ “Brasey Edward Writer, Storyteller”, Who’s who in France, September 14, 2012
- Jump up^ Édouard Brasey, The Pivot Effect in Communication and Languages, 1988, vol. 75, No. 1, p. 122-123
- Jump up^ Laurène Daycard, The Pope at the heart of a thriller, February 11 2012, Le Figaro
- Jump up^ The 32 novels of Fantômas would be broadcast today in digital, ActuaLitté, July 26 2014
- Jump up^ The Vatican’s Game of Thrones, Israel Hayom
- Jump up^ Laurène Daycard, “The pope in the heart of a thriller”, Le Figaro, February 11, 2012
- Jump up^ Franck Ferrand, “At the Heart of History”, Europe 1, February 19, 2013
- Jump up^ Raymond Perrin,Youth Literature and Youth Press at the beginning of the twenty-first century, Éditions L’Harmattan, 2008 (ISBN 2296052576and 9782296052574), p. 270