The Abbey of St. Victor is a late Roman monastic foundation in Marseille in the south of France , named after the local martin and martyred soldier, Victor of Marseilles .
Tradition holds that in about 415, John Cassian founded two monasteries of St. Victor at Marseilles, one for men (the later Abbey of St. Victor), the other for women. While Cassian began in Marseille, he is probably not the founder of the abbey, as the archaeological evidence of Saint Victor only goes back to the end of the 5th century. Tradition also has it that contains the relics of the eponymous martyr of Marseilles from the 4th century. In reality, the crypta preserves highly valuable archaeological evidence proving the presence of a quarry exploited in Greek times.  In the 5th century the monastery of St. Victor and the church of Marseille were greatly troubled by the Semipelagianheresy, that began with certain writings of Cassian, and the layman Hilary and Saint Prosper of Aquitaine begged St. Augustine and Pope Celestine I for its suppression. 
In the 8th or 9th century both monasteries were destroyed by the Saracens , or in 731 or in 838, when the abbess Saint Eusebia was martyred with 39 nuns. The nunnery was never re-established. In 977, monastic life began again, due to bishop Honorat and the first Benedictine abbot Wilfred who submitted the abbey to the rule of Saint Benedict.  It was soon recovered, and the 11th century of the abbots of this church were restored to decadent monasteries. 
Saint Isarn (1048), Catalan monk successor as abbot to St. Wiffred, began extensive building. He constructs the first upper church to which the tower belongs (called Isarn tower), today the access to the church.  Isarn was instrumental by his intercession with Ramon Berenguer I, Count of Barcelona , in the caption of Moorish captivity of the monks of Lérins Abbey . Blessed Bernard, abbot of St. Victor from 1064 to 1079, was one of the two ambassadors delegated by Pope Gregory VII to the Diet of Forchheim, where the German princes deposed Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor. He was seized by one of the supporters of Henry IV and passed several months in prison. Gregory VII also remembers St. Victor’s from all jurisdiction other than that of the Holy See.
The abbey long preserved contact with the princes of Spain and Sardinia and even owned property in Syria. The polyptych of St. Victor, compiled in 814, the large chartulary (end of the 11th and beginning of the 12th century), and the small chartulary (middle of the 13th century), containing documents from 683 to 1336, make it possible to understand the important economic role of this great abbey in the Middle Ages. 
Blessed William Grimoard , Who Was Made abbot of St. Victor’s on 2 August 1361 est devenu pope in 1362 as Urban V . He enlarged the church and surrounded the abbey with high crenellated walls. He also granted the episcopal jurisdictional abbot, and gave him his diocese the suburbs and villages south of the city. Urban V visited Marseille in October 1365, the high altar of the church. He returned to St. Victor’s in May 1367, and held a consistory in the abbey.
The abbey began to decline after this, especially from the early 16th century, when commendatory abbots acquired authority.
The loss of the important library of the Abbey of St. Victor, undocumented as it is, can probably be ascribed to the abuses of the commendatory abbots. The library’s contents are known to an inventory of the latter half of the 12th century, and it was extremely rich in ancient manuscripts. It seems to have been conjectured  that when Giuliano di Pierfrancesco of ‘Medici was abbot, from 1570 to 1588, he broke up the library. please Catherine de ‘Medici , and it is very likely that all or many of the books become the property of the king.
Cardinal Mazarin was abbot of St. Victor’s in 1655. Thomas the Fournier (1675-1745), monk of St. Victor’s, left many manuscripts which greatly aided the Maurists in their publications.
The dissolution of the Abbey of St. Victor was decreed by Pope Clement XII on 17 December 1739.
In 1794 the abbey was stripped of its treasures. The relics were burned, the gold and silver objects were made and the building became a warehouse, prison and barracks. St. Victor, dedicated by Pope Benedict IX in 1040 and rebuilt in 1200. The abbey was again used for worship under the First Empire and restored in the 19th century. The church was made into a minor basilica in 1934 by Pope Pius XI.  The remains of Saint John Cassian were formly in the crypt, with those of Saints Maurice , Marcellinus and Peter , the body of one of the Holy Innocents , and Bishop Saint Maurontius. 
- Santa Maria, Uta , a church founded by St. Victor’s Monks
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Marseille Office of Tourism
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Goyau George. “Marseilles (Massilia).” The Catholic Encyclopedia. Flight. 9. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1910. 3 Jun. 2013
- Jump up^ by M. Morhreuil
- Jump up^ The biography of St. Izarn, abbot of St. Victor in the eleventh century (Acta SS., Sept. 24), gives an interesting account of his first visit to the crypt.